About the Faculty of History


Welcome to the English Pages of the Faculty of History, one of the oldest
in the history of European universities!


The Faculty was founded in the central campus of the University of Warsaw in the heart of the historical center of the Polish capital. In the unique atmosphere of baroque and classical university buildings the historical science has been cultivated, taught and learned since the end of the 18th century.

The Faculty of History is a multidisciplinary unit, characterized by a high scientific potential. It consists of the 7 units and currently employs full time 270 academics, including 43 full professors, 68 University of Warsaw professors, 136 doctors and 19 MA holders. Retired professors are also important for the Faculty – they support teaching, sustain scientific activity and international contacts. However, it is the students who are the greatest intellectual capital of our Faculty. In the current academic year there are about 4000 students specializing in various fields: ca. 1650 in full-time programs, 1880 enrolled in evening or part-time studies, and 480 in postgraduate studies. In addition, the Faculty provides a PhD program with ca. 110 post-graduate students.

The Faculty of History consists of 7 units: six are didactic and research Institutes: Institute of History (established in 1930), Institute of Archaeology (established in 1975 combined from the then-functioning units, e.g. the Section of Pre-historical Archaeology, created in 1919), the Institute of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology (created in 1935), the Institute of Art History (created in 1917), the Institute of Information and Book Studies (established in 1951), the Institute of Musicology (established in 1948), and one research unit: the Center for Precolumbian Studies (developed from the Andean Archaeological Mission (AMA) established in 1988). All the didactic-research Institutes have been highly evaluated by the State Accreditation Commission and received SAC’s quality of teaching assessment. The teaching staff skillfully combines methods of work with students based on lectures, classes, seminars and other forms of teaching like monographic lectures addressed to all University students, and various foreign language classes, as well as internships and practical training and field work. Students can also choose to study in other faculties in the country within the Student Mobility Program, MOST, or outside the country, among others, under the EU Socrates-Erasmus program. Each year our Faculty invites foreign guests: lecturers and visiting professors who address  both the teaching staff and students. For students specializing in history, archaeology, ethnology, information science and book studies, history of music and art field practices and research tours are regularly provided to enable direct contact with their interests and research. All specializations in the Faculty participate in the Bologna Process; consequently with it, three-stage studies (Bachelor – Master – Doctor) have been introduced. The Faculty of History is authorized to run PhD programs and grant post-doctoral degrees (so called habilitation).

The Faculty has a number of computer labs, created in all the Institutes where students take classes. Individual institutes have their own libraries with rich collections of books and nonbook materials, with separate reading rooms. The total number of items in the collections amounts to almost half a million and makes it the greatest Polish library for historical science and one of the richest of the kind in this part of Europe. Students have free access to all Faculty libraries and may borrow most items of the collections. Institute authorities and the Faculty itself has make efforts to improve the infrastructure, which resulted in the adaptation of new space for the Institutes. At present the Faculty is located in six buildings in the center of Warsaw, mostly in historical buildings of 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, along the two historical streets of Warsaw: Krakowskie Przedmie╢cie and Nowy źwiat, which form the called Royal Route (Szlak Królewski), nowadays the most popular in Warsaw for the inhabitants, and tourist promenade.

Welcome to the English Pages of the Faculty of History, one of the oldest
in the history of European universities

-----
Print Print this page
Updated:2009-10-06 15:33:08
Description:Dokonano zmian bez konieczności ich opisu (zgodnie z parametrami systemu).
Changed by:Agata Ulanowska Dziekanat Wydziału Historycznego UW, tel.:+48 22 552 45 51; +48 723 030 061, email:dyrektor.wh.adm@uw.edu.pl
Number of pageviews:66795